Home Owner Grant
The Province of B.C.'s Home Owner Grant program reduces the amount of property tax you pay for your principal residence.The grant must be applied for every year.
How to Claim your Home Owner Grant
As per the January 5, 2021 news release by the Province of BC all Home Owner Grants have to be submitted directly through the Province of BC.
- Starting May 2021, apply for your home owner online with the Province.
- Municipalities are NO longer accepting applications.
- Program eligibility is unchanged.
- To avoid penalties and interest, apply before the tax due date of July 2, 2021.
- To learn more visit the Province of B.C.'s Home Owner Grant website.
- To speak with a live agent call 1 888 355 2700.
Homeowners are reminded to keep their property assessment notice from BC Assessment or property tax notice. Homeowners will need their roll and jurisdiction number from their notice to apply for the Home Owner Grant with the Province.
The grant amounts for 2021 for homeowners located in the City of Courtenay are:
- up to $770; and
- up to $1,045 for homes in northern or rural areas where the homeowner is 65 years or older, or the homeowner is a person with a disability.
Even if you are not making a tax payment, you should still claim the Home Owner Grant.
Forgot to Claim Last Year’s Grant?
If you missed claiming your grant, you have one year to apply for it retroactively. For application instructions, including a list of original documentation that you must provide, please visit the Province of BC website.